The Black Keys - Turn Blue


The Black Keys
'Turn Blue'
Nonesuch Records
Tiger Rating: 8.0 / 10

The Black Keys. From underground, earnest blues band to vintage coloured, hipster darlings to mainstream sell outs - their career trajectory has been more confused than Martha Stewart on crack.
My feeling is that with the release (and subsequent mixed reviews) of 'Turn Blue', the boys are giving the middle finger to fans and critics alike and for the first time in a long time returning to the motivation that spurred them into their garage with guitar and drumsticks in hand.
And that primary motivation was to pay homage to all the great bands that they grew up with in Akron.

Gone are the handclaps, spangled solos and sing-along choruses.
Here are moody, synthesized layers, Michael Jackson-esque funk guitars and overall a surreptitious nod to soul from the 60s, 70s and even 80s.

Digesting this album as a clueless consumer, it will no doubt be a disappointment. Or at very least moderately interesting.
And so if my middle-finger theory is correct, touche guys! A job well done!And truth be told I really prefer my 'Carneybach' without all the deadweight mainstream hangers on, who ordinarily wouldn't appreciate blues or soul if it was giving them three years accumulated lottery winnings.
I resent the fact that marketable music has to have featured artists and hip hop remixes these days. It's refreshing to hear a back to basics, well produced album. With no fluff, spangle or swag.

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised at all if Auerbach remixed 'Turn Blue' into a dancehall / hip-hop mashup with Pharrel. He's two parts incredible musician, one part mad magician.

As 'Turn Blue' plays out with the unexpected (and I think unnecessary)
Status Quo, Marc Bolan freak monster "Gotta Get Away" I'm reminded of the first time I heard the guys.
THAT'S what I want from any band I love.

Reminiscing.
Even if I wasn't around to hear the guys whose work they reference in the first place.

WVS

* PS - Check out their new video for "Fever" here
Help me Jesus!

Comments

Popular Posts