Lykke Li - I Never Learn




Lykke Li
"I Never Learn"
LL Records
Tiger Rating: 7.0  / 10


So she's Swedish and she looks like Gaga on goth day and has vocals reminiscent of Nelly Furtado.
Oh & she's Swedish like Bjork. Did I mention that?

All smarmy comparisons aside, I have always loved Lykke. Maybe it's the European thing?
There are an elite group of songstresses who are able to pour their heart into their music, but still find space to not be so wrapped up in themselves that they fail to develop a likability.

That and Lykke's quirky as hell. Genuine quirky. Not wearing-a-live-octopus-on-your-head-to-an-award-show "quirky".

The thing that really sets her apart from all of her peers is precisely that. She has had moments of utter beauty ("
Possibility" - unfortunately used in the suck-ass-ness that was one of the Twilight movies), moments of undeniable catchy-ness ("I Follow Rivers") anda combination of the two ("Love Out Of Lust" ).
So she has her thing and you like it or hate it.

"I Never Learn" is, in terms of her sound, more of the same. And actually, in terms of sound and vibe alone, scaled back and not as quirky and intricate as usual.
But sound and vibe isn't the thrust of this album. If it was, I would have scored it way less.
She sounds far too much like Furtado for my liking on the guitar ballad "Love Me Like I'm Not Made Of Stone" (the levels are off on that track too, with too loud guitars).
And for the most part the vibe is chilled. Which is nice. Nice is okay. But it's not history making.

This isn't a history making album. Why I'm writing so much about it though is because on this album, she has tapped into depths of honesty and vulnerability that speaks volumes. And is very admirable.
Image, sound, genre and brand aside, if someone can channel their brokenness into music - and then put it out for other people to hear - they get my respect. That takes balls. Or a "Heart Of Steel" in Lykke's case.
So whilst all else is bland and relaxed - never quite pushing it in atmospheric and soaring - the grounded heart and soul of this album is stunning.
I can't help respect someone who wears their bloody mess of a heart on their sleeves.
Look away if emotions don't do it for you.
Dive in if you are not of a nervous disposition.

WVS

Comments

Popular Posts